More than 5,000 middle school and high school Technology Student Association members from across the country participated in the virtual 2021 National TSA Conference. Central Middle School's teams, sponsored by Lolly Williams, were top placers.
The Stem Animation team, Chloe Robbins, Rylee Ruddick, and Echo Carpenter, won First Place, and the Mechanical Engineering team, Dillon Mehta, Adit Paul, and Echo Carpenter, placed 4th in the nation.
“Together Towards Tomorrow,” the conference theme, reflected TSA’s 43rd year of work to promote personal development, leadership, education, and career opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math through intracurricular activities, competitions, and other programs. For the 2020-2021 school year, TSA adapted more than 60 in-person STEM competitive events to accommodate a virtual environment in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
National top 10 competition finalists were announced during virtual conference general sessions, held June 23-25. Oklahoma TSA had national champions in three events, and 11 students earned first place in team and individual competitions. Eight students placed second in individual and team events, and one team placed third.
20 students earned top rankings in team and individual competitions:
- Central MS, 1st Place - STEM Animation MS.
- Stillwater Junior High, 1st Place - Coding MS.
- Claremore Middle School, 1st Place - Chapter Team MS.
- Claremore High School, 2nd Place - Chapter Team HS.
- Neha Guruswamy, Edmond Santa Fe High School, 2nd Place - Data Science & Analytics HS
- Evan Ferguson, Alva Middle School, 2nd place - Prepared Speech.
- Edmond Santa Fe, 3rd Place - Coding HS.
Oklahoma had 20 Top 10 finalists in team and individual competitions:
- Addison Hoppers, Edmond Cimarron Middle School – CAD Foundations.
- Central Middle School, Bartlesville - Mechanical Engineering MS.
- Edmond Cheyenne Middle School – Technology Bowl
- Josey Inselman, Perkins Tryon – Digital Photography MS.
- Kaylee Ferrell, Amber-Pocasset Junior High – Essays on Technology MS.
- Rush Springs Middle School – Technical Design
- Sean Kuehn, Charles Page High School - Extemporaneous Speech HS.
- Sean Kuehn, Charles Page High School - Prepared Presentation HS.
- Stillwater Junior High - Website Design MS.
- Victoria Bailey, Heartland Middle School – MS Digital Photography.
- Whittier Middle School, Norman - Challenging Tech Issues.
- Zachary Harvey, Edmond Cimarron Middle School – CAD Foundations.
In addition to being involved in competitions, conference participants heard presentations from STEM speakers in education and industry, elected the 2021-2022 national TSA officers, and learned the names of award and scholarship recipients.
The Oklahoma TSA will be co-hosting the 2022 National TSA Conference, “Discover Your Journey,” June 26-30 at the Gaylord Texan Resort in Dallas, Texas.